Do the website loading text only in your Chrome? Do web pages displaying text only while accessing online? Facing issue with plain text only? Why some websites showing text?
If you’ve encountered with the loading issue of web page or website in your browsers like Chrome, Firefox or Opera on your PC or Mac then you’re at right place. Today I’m going to share a couple of solutions and a definite fix for website appearing as text only.
The problem which we generally encounter is the page not loading properly and shows only plain text with a white background without any image, graphics or colors.
Table of Contents
How to fix web page showing text only on your browser?
Solution 1: Clearing Host blocking firewall
There are chances that your firewall is actually blocking the content that web page is requesting. If any network administrator has blocked particular sites, that will eventually lead to errors. The below steps are for Windows PC users only:
- Go to Start, click on Computer
- Here open C:\\ Drive > Windows folder
- Look for System32 and open the folder
- Now look for the folder named drivers
- Here open folder etc
- Under folder etc click on hosts and open the file using any text editor like notepad
- Now clear any URL servers in the file and simply save the file
- Reload your page the problem and will be fixed
Note: please try this very carefully, since editing host file can also terminate your internet access on your system.
If there are no blocking URLs in your host file, skip to next solution.
Solution 2: Hard Refresh the Browser
This is a very basic and most common solution available online. All you need to hit Hard-Refresh in your browser so that new files are loaded from the website instead of the browser cache.
- For MAC user: Cmd+Shift+R
- For Windows User: Ctrl+F5
The hard refresh will try to fetch the new files from the website server instead of locally stored in the cache. This will eliminate the content issue and load fresh elements are not available in browser storage.
Solution 3: Deal with AdBlock Extensions or Add-Ons
As I said the browser extensions can many times interfere with page layout due given its working structure. The error generally occurs in Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or for such instance in any other browser which allows browser extensions and add-ons.
Many times the main culprit is Adblocker extensions like AdBlock Plus, AdBlock, AdGaurd, Ghostery etc.
- For Google Chrome, go to settings of your Browser and under extensions look for Adblock extension and uninstall or remove any existing adblocker
- Once deleted or removed, close all the tabs and reopen the chrome browser program
- Open the browser and again install the Adblock extensions, if required
- The page should now load properly
Same applies for Mozilla, you can delete the add-on and re-install it.
If the issue still persists, the pause the AdBlocker for the time being and start browsing without text loading issue.
I recently had the problem when I trying to access Flipkart.com, and after checking the browser console error I got to know that Ghostery extension was creating an issue with proper loading.
Solution 4: Reset Browser Settings and Clear Browsing Data
Follow below guide for Google Chrome browser or Firefox browser, however, the steps may differ.
1. Click on the upper right of the browser toolbar.
2. Click More tools.
3. Click Clear browsing data.
4. Place a select in the following checkboxes: Browsing history. Download history. Cookies and other site and plug-in data.
5. Select the beginning of time from the drop-down menu.
6. Click Clear browsing data.
Note: Clear browsing data will actually remove locally stored cache and cookies. Hence, you may need to re-login into all the website, however, the passwords and auto-form will stay in-tact.
Web page loading text only: troubleshoot demo video
I was also having the text only issue with loading Google AdWords (Ads) home page. I quickly captured a video demo explain the troubleshooting steps and also fix to the problem. I hope this will help you as well and please subscribe to my youtube channel.
What resolved your problem with text display?
The main culprit in my case was the Adblocking extension that was installed on Chrome browser. I temporarily deactivated the AdBlocker and refreshed the page. The content started displaying correctly without any issue.
If you have any other problem or still facing issues with the browser. Do comment below for assistance and suggestions, happy to help.
If you've any thoughts on How to fix a page not loading properly and display only in text?, then feel free to drop in below comment box. Also, please subscribe to our restoreBin YouTube channel for amazing videos tips. Cheers!